Divorce Lawyer Flint, MI
If you have decided to get a divorce, your next step should be to speak to a divorce lawyer in Flint, MI. A divorce is a difficult process and you do not want to go through it on your own. A lawyer can guide you through the entire process and answer all of your questions.
How to Talk to Your Kids About Your Divorce
A divorce is never easy. If you have children, it can make the process even more difficult. However, the sooner you talk to your kids, the better. Here are some tips for discussing divorcde with your children.
- Select a private setting. Divorce is too personal of a topic to discuss in a public place, like a restaurant. It is important to choose a private and quiet place to talk to your kids about the matter, like your living room. This way, they will feel comfortable talking about their feelings.
- Leave the details out. When talking about your divorce with your kids, it is best to avoid discussing intimate details. For example, you don’t want to tell your kids that your marriage ended because of an affair. Instead, tell your kids that you and your spouse don’t get along the way you used to and think it is best to get a divorce.
- Reassure your children that they didn’t do anything wrong. As a divorce lawyer in Flint, MI can confirm, many children think they are to blame for their parent’s divorce. That is why you should tell your children that they didn’t do anything wrong. Let them know that you and your spouse still love them dearly.
- Be prepared for various reactions. Some children take the news of divorce quite well while others do not. That is why you should be ready for a wide range of reactions. Don’t be surprised if one or more of your children cry or scream. Allow them to air out their emotions.
- Encourage your kids to ask questions. It is likely that your children will have plenty of questions about your divorce. They may wonder which parent they will live with and if they will have to attend another school. Encourage your children to ask questions and give them detailed answers.
If you want to get a divorce, you should schedule a consultation with a divorce lawyer in Flint, MI to discuss the matter in detail. Call Olesko Law Firm now.