Choosing Divorce- What You Can Expect
When two people enter into marriage, the last thing that either of them wants is to watch the relationship fail miserably. Unfortunately, statistics show that almost half of all marriages end in divorce. This number can be staggering and a bit disheartening for couples today. Marriage can be rewarding but are not without their fair share of hard work. Sometimes, despite all efforts, you may find yourself contending with divorce and the process ahead. You may be wondering what will come next when pursuing a divorce. You and your partner will be required to make critical decisions over the property, assets, child custody, and even child support. The court process can be incredibly confusing, especially for someone with no experience in family law. It can take time for you and your family to adjust to this significant life change, and hiring a divorce lawyer may be the best approach for managing the divorce process.
Once you have made the difficult decision to no longer remain in a relationship, you may be asking yourself one big question: Now What? Just the thought of what comes next can feel overwhelming. Amidst the emotions that come with ending a relationship, there’s still the task of dividing the life you once shared. Chances are, you will want this done in the most amicable way possible. Here are some ways you can proceed with the process:
- Consult with a divorce lawyer as they can provide key guidance over the process.
- One spouse must proceed with the process by filing the divorce petition, initiating the divorce process.
- The other party will then be served the divorce paperwork or notified of the divorce.
- Once your spouse has the paperwork, they are responsible for responding to the petition.
- A waiting period must occur before the divorce can be finalized. Know that this timeframe can vary depending on the state you live in.
- Your lawyer can help you ask the court for temporary orders that can be in effect until the divorce is finalized. Typically this is necessary for things like child custody, spousal support, child support, etc.
While these are just the initial phases of the divorce process, know that there are still several other components to the process. You and your soon-to-be-ex will be charged with reaching agreements over finances, assets, property, children, and more. Sometimes, the process can make even the most agreeable of divorces quickly contentious. Once you and your partner have negotiated agreements, a judge will then finalize the divorce. In some situations, if you are unable to reach agreements, you and your partner may bring your divorce case to trial, which puts critical decisions into the judge’s hands.
The Court Process Can be Confusing
Divorce is a significant life change, one that can be fueled by emotion. While it can take time to adjust to these changes, you will be forced to contend with the court process, which at times, can be incredibly complicated. For many, divorce can result in a reduced income, single parenting, leaving the family home, and more. When dealing with such stressors, it’s only natural to make a divorce lawyer’s services your top priority. With their assistance, they can prepare you for court, help you understand the process, and ensure that your interests and needs are kept at the forefront.
To learn more about how to pursue a divorce and why it’s best to do so with a lawyer by your side, contact an experienced legal professional in your area. Call Olesko Law Firm, PLLC today.