Criminal Defense lawyer Flint, MI
It is important for everyone to have the right to a fair trial, and a criminal defense lawyer in Flint, MI from Olesko Law Firm, PLLC realizes that sometimes people are charged with crimes that they did not commit. Regardless, if you find out that you are being investigated for involvement in a crime, you need to contact a lawyer residents trust. The lawyers at our law firm will be ready to take your call and schedule a consultation if you desire.
Examples of Criminal Defense Cases
There are many different cases that a lawyer can cover. An experienced attorney will have likely dealt with sexual assault cases, drug cases, firearms possession, or even expungement of crimes. Here are a few examples of each:
- Sexual assault: Indecent exposure, sexual battery, rape, or harassment are a few of many cases a lawyer might take on.
- Drugs: Driving under the influence, driving while intoxicated, drug possession, intent to distribute, and possession of drug paraphernalia are all crimes that a lawyer can help with. Drug sentences can be tricky, and depend heavily on the person’s intentions and whether or not their actions may have affected others.
- Illegal firearm possession: Each state has their own gun control laws. It is important to know what your rights are and have a lawyer who will be willing to fight for you if your rights were violated in any way.
- Expungement: A lawyer not only helps with preventing conviction for crimes, but he or she can also work toward getting a criminal record expunged. By cleaning up a record, a person will more easily get a job and be able to live more freely without their past following them. Expungement can occur most often with juveniles and crimes committed by people under 21 years old, but speak to a lawyer to see if there is any way to get your record expunged.
Sexual Assault as a Serious Crime
Sexual assault crimes are punished harshly, so if you’ve been arrested for such an offense, you may be thinking that the odds are against you. Many people will immediately assume the victim of sexual assault is being truthful and will sympathize with them. So, this does not bode well for the offender in court, as they are often already looked at as being guilty when it has not been proven so.
If you were recently arrested for a sexual misconduct charge, you need a Flint, MI criminal defense lawyer who is knowledgeable and knows how to protect your rights from the start. We can challenge the prosecution’s case against you, and guide you as we navigate the complicated world of criminal court proceedings.
Sexual assault, otherwise called sexual battery, is the offense of touching another without getting consent or against that person’s will and in an attempt to pursue sexual arousal or gratification. in order for this kind of asked to be considered criminal sexual assault, the act must have happened as a result of the following:
- Dures (menace, threats)
- Fear of retaliation or harm
The lack of consent can mean that the supposed victim was unable to give consent due to being mentally or physically disabled, was not aware of the nature of the touching (asleep or unconscious), or was intoxicated and therefore not able to give consent. It is worth noting that even if you are in a romantic relationship with the alleged victim, you can still receive a conviction of sexual assault if you touch them in an intimate way against their will or without consent. Other kinds of sex crimes include rape, sexual abuse, child molestation, pandering of prostitution, statutory rape, indecent exposure, and unlawful intercourse with a minor.
Strategic Criminal Defenses
As of any criminal case of a sexual nature, the stakes are high. Because of the abusive nature of the crime, the prosecutor and police office will do everything within their power to get a conviction and inflict harsh penalties that may affect the defendant’s life. Not only that, but it can ruin your reputation and force you into registering as a sex offender. Thankfully, there are legal defenses your lawyer can utilize as a way to challenge these charges and establish reasonable doubt in the minds of the jury and judge.
Common defense strategies that your lawyer may use include:
- Consent: the touching had been consensual and the defendant has reasonable belief that the other person had approved the interaction.
- False Accusation: the supposed victim had wrongly accused the defendant of sexually assaulting them.
- Mistaken Identity: the defendant was misidentified as the person who committed the crime.
- Insufficient Evidence: There is not enough evidence to show without a doubt that the defendant committed the sexual assault.
5 Questions to Ask Your Potential Lawyer
When hiring a criminal defense lawyer in Flint, MI, you will want to ask him or her a few questions to better understand if they will be a good match for your case.
1. How Long Have You Been Practicing Law?
Everyone starts somewhere, but when it comes to finding a criminal defense lawyer in Flint, MI, it is generally a good idea to look for firms like Olesko Law Firm, where there is a rich and established history of practicing law in the community.
2. Have You Been Successful With Cases Like Mine?
Success is not relevant if your lawyer has never handled a case like yours before and won. When given the option, you should actively pursue a lawyer that can provide you with testimonials or positive reviews from people that have been in your shoes. With your freedom potentially at stake, you do not want your lawyer to be under-qualified.
3. What Are Your Fees?
Knowing the financial agreement you are entering is a crucial part of finding a lawyer that is right for you. You will want to look for a firm that lists all costs and fees up front, like Olesko Law Firm, so that you don’t end up drowning in hidden legal fees later on. Not only should you ask your lawyer about general costs and fees, but it is also wise to find out if your firm offers a payment plan.
4. Do You Have Experience in Front of a Jury?
In the scenario that your case goes to trial, you will want to know whether or not your lawyer is prepared to speak in front of a jury. It may seem unnecessary, or even a little silly, to ask a lawyer if they are ready to present in court; however, the majority of criminal cases today never make it to trial. Consequentially, you may have an experienced and successful criminal defense lawyer in Flint, MI who has never actually had to convince a jury of his or her client’s innocence.
5. What Can I Expect on the Road Ahead?
Being charged with a crime is an extremely stressful situation. It can feel like there are a million things on your plate and a never-ending road of obstacles lying in front of you. The right lawyer will be there to help guide you along the way. Asking him or her to be honest with you about the next steps of your case will prepare you to handle whatever is thrown your way.
Why You Should Hire a Lawyer Now
Do not attempt to represent yourself in court for a criminal charge. There is too much at stake to take any chances. If you are convicted of a crime, you will likely face jail time and have steep fines to pay. It is important to have a criminal defense lawyer on your side who knows the laws and loopholes to look for during a trial. If your lawyer is local to the area, he or she may also know the judges and other authorities involved in your case. This can be beneficial when coming up with a defense strategy.
4 Reasons You Should Hire a Criminal Defense Lawyer
Being a defendant in a criminal case can be stressful and difficult. However, a criminal defense lawyer can help you navigate the system while fighting to protect your future and rights. Here are four reasons why you should hire a defense attorney if you’re involved in a criminal case.
1. They Know Your Local Criminal Justice System
A criminal defense lawyer in Flint, MI, can help you during your trial because they are familiar with the intricacies of the courts and the law. They understand how your local criminal justice system works, and they often know the prosecutors and judges in your area. A defense attorney can advise you on how to conduct yourself in court, including how to dress and speak. The lawyers at Olesko Law Firm can guide you through the complex process of a trial step-by-step.
2. You Could Save Money in the Long Term
You may be reluctant to hire a criminal defense lawyer in Flint, MI, to represent you in your case because you’re concerned about legal fees. However, reliable representation in court could end up saving you money in the long term. A defense attorney may be able to help you avoid excessive fines, penalties and jail time. You can lose a significant amount of income if you spend time in jail. In addition, the outcome of your trial could jeopardize your professional licensure and reduce your future earning potential. Protecting yourself during a criminal trial could help you avoid these expenses and losses of income.
3. They Can Protect Your Rights From Law Enforcement
As a defendant in the United States, you are entitled to your rights under the law. You are not required to incriminate yourself or submit to unlawful searches, and law enforcement officers are supposed to respect these tenants, even if you’re suspected of a crime. Unfortunately, sometimes the rights of defendants are violated during criminal cases. A criminal defense lawyer in Flint, MI, can fight on your behalf to protect your civil liberties.
4. They Understand the Possible Outcomes of a Case
One of the most complicated aspects of criminal law involves predicting the potential outcomes. Sentencing can be very complex, and a skilled criminal defense lawyer in Flint, MI, can help you understand the possible consequences of your trial and how certain strategies can affect the outcome. An attorney from Olesko Law Firm can help you understand your options and decide how you should present your case and how you should plea in court.
Criminal trials can have serious consequences. If you’re a defendant in a criminal case, you should consult an attorney immediately.
How a Criminal Defense Lawyer Can Help You
Hiring a criminal defense lawyer in Flint MI can help protect your independence and your future. If you are arrested for a crime, your first action should be to notify the police that you would like to call a lawyer. Experienced attorneys at Olesko Law Firm are ready to help you as soon as you are detained, arrested, or officially charged. Lawyers are accustomed to negotiating release or reduced charges for many crimes, including but not limited to:
The implications of a OWI/DUI conviction can have dramatic impact on your day-to-day life, even if it is your first offense. If you are charged with driving under the influence, a criminal defense lawyer in Flint MI can assist you by not only potentially eliminating or reducing the charge but also advocating on your behalf if you are convicted by negotiating for reduced fines and fees so that getting your license back will not be cost-prohibitive. In some cases, defense lawyers may be able to negotiate entry into a treatment program in lieu of harsher punishments.
If you are arrested and charged with crimes involving banking and finance, such as embezzlement, fraud, money laundering, tax evasion or any other crime involving the allegedly unlawful transfer of money, a criminal defense lawyer in Flint MI can recommend a course of action to reduce or eliminate the charges against you or negotiate a favorable plea and fair sentencing recommendation if you are facing conviction. Experienced attorneys handle a range of cases, from individual charges of bribery to defending organizations that are allegedly engaging in unlawful financial practices. The criminal prosecution of banking & finance crimes often requires significant time expenditure to review data and paperwork, but don’t be intimidated by the projected schedule. The attorneys at Olesko Law Firm can offer cost-effective plans to aggressively defend your rights.
Property crimes are serious offenses that can result in steep sentences if you are convicted. Law enforcement will often try to compel a confession by implying that more serious charges are inevitable when a suspect is detained for lesser violations, so it is important that you call a lawyer right away if you are charged with a property crime. The team at Olesko Law Firm has a wealth of experience in intervening on behalf of individuals accused of theft, robbery, burglary, and other property crimes under Michigan laws and will defend you vigorously in and out of the courtroom.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Hiring a Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you’ve been charged with a crime, one of your next steps should be to hire a criminal defense lawyer in Flint, MI. However, if you’ve never worked with this type of lawyer before, you might not know what to look for. Here are some common mistakes to avoid when hiring a criminal lawyer.
- Hiring a lawyer who doesn’t specialize in criminal law. Some people accused of a crime make the mistake of hiring a lawyer who doesn’t specialize in criminal law. They may have a friend or family member who is an estate planning or tax lawyer and ask them to take their case. However, if you hire a lawyer who doesn’t have much experience with criminal cases, you may not get a favorable outcome in your case. Before you hire a lawyer, ask how many criminal cases he or she has handled in the past.
- Neglecting to do research. Searching for the right criminal defense lawyer may be tedious at times, but you should never settle on the first lawyer you find on Google. Take the time to review a lawyer’s website, read reviews from past clients and contact your local bar association. If you do the proper research, you’ll be more likely to find a lawyer who is the right fit.
- Hiring the cheapest lawyer you can find. If you’re on a tight budget, you might try to find the cheapest criminal lawyer you can find. However, this could end up costing you more in the end. If you hire a lawyer who charges much less than other criminal lawyers in your area, there may be a good reason. He or she may not have the experience you need.
- Choosing a lawyer who promises victory. When you’re facing criminal charges, it may feel good to have a lawyer tell you that you will definitely win your case. However, there are no guarantees with criminal cases. That’s why you should never put your trust in a criminal lawyer who promises you a victory. He or she may be just saying what you want to hear.
- Not asking enough questions. During your first consultation with a criminal lawyer, it’s important to ask multiple questions. Too many people shy away from asking potential lawyers the right questions. Make a list of questions that you want to ask, such as what law school the lawyer attended and how many criminal cases he or she handles a year.
Contact Olesko Law Firm, PLLC Today
Give our firm a call as soon as you can so we can schedule a consultation and begin working on your case. You can discuss your concerns and the specifics of your criminal charges so that you will be matched with a lawyer who will know how to navigate through the next steps. Time is of the essence, so call a criminal defense lawyer in Flint, Michigan from Olesko Law Firm, PLLC immediately.
Defenses Your Lawyer May Employ
Being charged with breaking criminal laws can be scary. If found guilty, the penalties you may face may be very serious, such as a long prison sentence, and impact your ability to get employment in the future. It is best not to hope for the best and take matters into your own hands if you have the means to. Finding an experienced criminal defense lawyer in Flint, MI can lead to better outcomes for your case. Call Olesko Law Firm, PLLC today to set up a free and confidential consultation to discuss your case. A lawyer is very knowledgeable of local, state, and federal laws applicable to your case and will help you navigate the legal system. Based on the charges you are facing, your lawyer will develop a defense to prove you are innocent or have the case dropped. Some of the defenses commonly used include:
While gathering evidence and researching the charges being brought against you, your lawyer may find that the police unlawfully created a situation which led you to break the law and are now trying to find you guilty of that crime. Since you would not have committed the crime without the police’s encouragement, this is considered entrapment, and if argued successfully, the charges against you will be dropped.
If you were acting out of fear for you or your loved ones lives, your lawyer may choose to argue that you acted in self-defense. Most people think of self defense as what they see on a TV show. For instance, a robber tries to hold up a store and the clerk behind the counter shoots them with a hidden weapon because they feared they might be killed otherwise. A defense of duress is similar in that your lawyer can argue that you only broke the law because you were compelled to by another person who was threatening you. To understand if self-defense or duress would be good defenses for your case, you can speak with a criminal defense lawyer Flint, MI residents trust like Olesko Law Firm, PLLC.
Depending on your mental state or capacity, your lawyer may argue that you weren’t of sound mind to understand that what you were doing was wrong and against the law. You will be evaluated by professional psychiatrists or psychologists, who will provide their professional opinion to the court. This argument is sometimes used with minors as well. If you are found not guilty because of insanity, you will still require follow up mental health care.
Mistake Of Law
A mistake of law defense argues that you didn’t know what you were doing was illegal because you misunderstood the situation, or that you thought your actions were legal. Use of this defense is less common, but certainly worth considering depending on your circumstances.
Regardless of what you are being charged for, you want to take it seriously so that it doesn’t affect you for the rest of your life. Finding a criminal defense lawyer in Flint, MI who will fight for you every step of the way can be challenging, which is why you should contact Olesko Law Firm, PLLC today.
If you’ve been accused of a crime, it’s important to have an experienced criminal defense lawyer Flint, MI on your side. A criminal conviction carries heavy consequences, from fines to prison time, and can affect you for many years. A lawyer can provide you with a strong defense and protect your legal rights.
Common Misconceptions About Criminal Lawyers
Criminal lawyers defend people who have been charged with various crimes, but there are still so many misconceptions about them. Here are some common myths about these legal professionals:
- Public defenders are just as skilled as private criminal lawyers. Hiring a private criminal lawyer isn’t cheap, so some people wonder if they should just settle for a public defender. However, you must understand that public defenders are usually lawyers fresh out of law school who don’t have much experience. They’re also overwhelmed with various cases and might not have enough time to give your case the attention it deserves. A private criminal lawyer, on the other hand, possesses more experience and resources, and will actually have time to take your case.
- All criminal lawyers are the same. This is a big myth. Not all criminal lawyers are created equal. Some are more skilled than others. That’s why it’s important to schedule a consultation with a potential criminal defense lawyer in Flint, MI and ask plenty of questions. You may want to find out where the lawyer attended law school and if he or she has experience handling your specific charge. It’s also important to look at a lawyer’s online reviews before making a hiring decision.
- All criminal defense lawyers offer free consultations. It’s true that many criminal lawyers offer free consultations to potential clients. However, not all of them do. Before you schedule a consultation with one, find out if he or she charges for consultations.
- All criminal lawyers are just in it for the money. Criminal defense lawyers of course want to make a comfortable living. However, that doesn’t mean they’re money hungry and don’t actually care about their clients. They invested a lot of time and money into their careers.
- All lawyers can defend you against a criminal charge. Don’t believe this month. You don’t want an estate lawyer or divorce lawyer defending you against a criminal charge. To improve your chances of a successful outcome, it’s important to hire a lawyer who specializes in criminal law.
Schedule a consultation with a criminal defense lawyer in Flint, MI today. Call Olesko Law Firm now.